Thread: Blems?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
Thanks to OEX for taking the lead and helping so many of us get a new kayak with their joint efforts with Malibu Kayaks.

So what happens to the Blems from all the other manufactures?
I think they all become versions of the "corn hole" game that we saw at BnB earlier this year. Really, I think there's a picture floating around here somewhere.

But honestly, a blem Hobie sale (example) would dent their business model I think. People would take the attitude of "Why pay $3000 (after tax) for a bare-bones PA when you can wait and buy a blem for a significant amount less?" I don't think we'll see it. I wouldn't complain one bit, but I don't think we'll see it.

Consider this: There's also something to be said regarding the used market. These blem sales have put a pretty large dent in the value of a used kayak. Let's say you buy a PA at the $3000 price tag, brand new. You go home, the market starts getting diluted with blem models of PA's that have a scratch here or there, maybe a misspelled word, all the used "non-blems", (you could argue even the new ones in a show room) lose their value. The Hobie owners would probably revolt after the huge price they paid for their yaks.

Back to your original question- For most manufacturers, they probably get melted back down and re-used. At least that's what I would imagine. Malibu seems to have found something that works for them with these blem sales at OEX, though.