View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #8
Southwest Kayak Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
That's irregular. In 5 years of offshore with 3 different PA's, it's only happened once for me. I would be suspicious of a sharp edge somewhere in the system causing the failures. Repairing the broken line could be just half the problem. It might be worth your time to inspect the system, especially the grommets that the line passes through going to the steering. For it to have happened twice already, I would suspect a wear groove on one of the black grommets. If you are still using the original rudder, I would highly recommend switching to a sail rudder. It sticks out farther, and requires a PVC protection fitting to avoid contact when loading the kayak into the truck, but drastically reduces the time my hand is on the rudder while steering offshore.
Hi John yeah even one time is too many. Tim at Pure Watersports repaired it the 1st time as well as this time. He left the steering line for me that had the loop end. I think it connects up front. Last time I saw the fray at the rear were the white grommets are. I’m pretty sure he gave it a good look. I’ve pretty much been using the kayak every weekend since I bought it in May of 2018.

I have a sail rudder as well and used pool noodle to elevate the hull off the truck bed. Presently my kayak is stored at Pure Watersports in Dana. I sold my truck a few months ago. It started to be a real pain in the ass. Eventually I’ll replace the truck and possibly pick up a new Outback.
Southwest Kayak Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote