Thread: Dana Point 3-24
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
SorryCharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjtwalker View Post
When I fish the pipe I try and drift over it. I normally cast out so I can drift and bounce it while I drift over it. The pipe is about 10 feet across it seems. It is a little tricky to find it with out a depth finder. In 30-40 feet of water it is almost straight off the life guard tower. In 50-60 feet of water it is almost straight off of the DoubleTree hotel.

I normally fish 3/4 to 1 oz heads so I can get down fast below the macs. If the current is ripping or the wind is pushing me to fast I move up to a 1.5 oz head. The sandies are normally in the bottom 10 feet and I have caught calicos off the bottom and had them chase all the way to the surface.

Like most places its all about time on the water. I have been fishing DP for about 3 years, getting out an average 3+ times a month. If you want to learn some of the spots try and get out during one of the Fishing with Friends events at DP Jet Ski:

http://www.kayakfishingmafia.com/smf...ic,2993.0.html

Always more fun when a little money is involved. Decent amount of people show up so you can see a lot of different areas people fish. Good luck out there.
I have to add my thanks as well for helping out us newbs. I have tried the pipe a few times with limited luck. Did get a nice size calico there once, but only once.

Also thanks for the link, I didn't know they had these events at DP Jet Ski. I will have to try this out in April!
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote