View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 05:11 PM   #9
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Awesome catches, especially from a Kayak. Is it normal to have a trailing hook also dig in on the side of the body, three of the pictures have it and at first I thought the first picture was a foul hook up. Congrats and thanks for sharing, that just gives us more inspiration. Tight Lines!
Thanks, Yes Like SoCalEDC said, it's part of the slow pitch technique. Great for catching, not the best for CPR -- all the Tuna I landed were partially bleed out on the reel up. The multi-hooking dampens the fight, which is less fun.
Instead of line ripping runs the fish eventually become more stationary. Soon it's like a tractor beam on the fish as one cranks it up. It is especially deadly on king mackerel that like to roll when first hooked. Once they roll, the other hooks dig in and it's game over. Some of the hooks invariably puncture areas that the sharp teeth cannot bite through. It's only a matter of time before a kayaker takes a Wahoo on a slow pitch.

Re:SoCalEDC
Thanks for the info. Which SPJ reels did you select? and are you happy with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
some first rate fish in the original post -- last fish is an almaco jack, right? You guys never eat the AJs in florida because they're full of parasites (or so I hear), but the almacos are good eats, I'd imagine.

I catch a lot of calico when I send a flatfall down here in SD, but I've never caught a real gamefish on it.
Thanks. You are correct, The last one is an Almaco, and they are good eating, but I usually release them unless the frig. is empty. Thankfully the AJ's do harbor worms, and because of that, many are released, instead of being fished out like grouper. They are the hardest fighters that I tangle with. Last month one of the AJ's swallowed the jig and was not going to survive the release, so I took it home. There were some worms in the tail section, but most of it was good. They have a nice white fillet and are good eating. When fishing near wrecks, it's a battle to keep from getting cut off. They vicariously remind me of my youth targeting YT in SoCal. I would rather release them to fight again another day and have released dozens including two that were previously tagged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AJSwallowedJig2E.jpg (92.8 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg AJ1EE.jpg (69.1 KB, 242 views)
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote