View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Drake

Thumbs up WTB: Bigger Cooler

26#

This ole' lady weighed in a very healthy 57.2#

Well, sorry for the late post but I hope everyone had a healthy happy 4th weekend. There's just something about being one of three kayakers who were willing to make a very, very, very long paddle in less than optimal conditions, four nights in a row in search of some good grade fish. Over a combined 50 hours spent on the water with a tallied 43.8 miles (on the GPS Odometer) has it rewards, although some may call us crazy, and I'm sure some already have.

The bite got very popular very fast, to the point where it became a hazard for us kayakers at night. When Jim, Danny and I first started fishing this bite we were pretty much the only vessels out there. It took less than a week for it to becomes a complete madhouse.
Even with nav lights, boats pay very little attention to what's ahead of them at night and it really was unsafe for kayaks to be out there.

Factor in the possibility that on a night bite like this...most guys will anchor up, throw their squid lights over and waste no time cracking open a few cold beers.

Not only was being run over a safety issue, but for a lonely kayak to be in the midsts of 40+ boats every night with fly lines running every which way, you are kind of a nuisance in their eyes. Everyone competes for a prime piece of real-estate and will have no problem bullying a kayak out of a spot. More than once, anchors were tossed over the bow of my kayak like warning shots.

I was threatened to be gaffed at one point, even though I was there 4 hours before this "total local brah" got there and wanted my spot. Jim had a similar run in with the same people...

After being bullied out, I had to move about 50 yards away from them. It was an absolute pleasure watching the expressions on their face every time my clicker started screaming. I couldn't help but look over my shoulder with a smug smirk, with a slight head bow thanking them for forcing me off my spot.

Last edited by Drake; 07-18-2013 at 04:18 PM.