View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
dpliska

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
The RSG was directed to meet or exceed Science Advisory Team guidelines that will close some or even all of these areas because persistent kelp is in such short supply.
At what point does the RSG stand up in outrage at comments like that?

I'm no scientist but common sense tells me that fishing and fishermen do not contribute to the loss of persistent kelp. Kelp loss is due climate change, pollution, and possibly an over abundance of urchins. Closing those areas to fishing will not produce a rebound in persistent kelp.

I've been to all the meetings that I can. I've volunteered my time and money. I've filled out numerous comment cards, sent letters, faxes and made phone calls. I've pounded the pavement spreading the word but I'm just a fisherman -and it's obvious to me, that's how I'm viewed by the BRTF. What I don't understand is why the local businesses are not beating down the doors at their city council offices demanding they oppose these closures. It seems to me that we keep on showing up to the gun fight with rocks in our hands.

I do appreciate your time and effort as well as everyone else who has contributed. I just think it's time for a different approach rather than doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome.