View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #13
chris138
donkey roper

So given all that, I probably see at least a good mark or two on every trip. That doesn't mean it was for sure the right kind though. Could be that it was a shark, or a ray, or some gnarly cormorant hunting at depth. Seeing a single or a pair of good marks is fairly common. I'll always drop on them but a single usually wont result in a hookup. A huge indicator of the right kind is if they react to your bait. Whether its the yoyo or the dropper loop, gamefish will almost always come check out your bait. Most of the time they wont bite it, but they will react to it.

Seeing a school of the right kind is a different story. I probably only see schools like 1/3 or 1/4 of the trips. Your chances of getting hooked up on a school are higher, because as they have more of a reaction component to the bite. Once you have multiple fish checking out your bait, they have the instinct to compete with each other and will be more aggressive typically... unless they are in a spawning behavior.

So to answer your questions, yes I see good mark on pretty much every trip... but much less frequently I see the REALLY good marks of a school where I'm 100% sure of what I'm looking at.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote