Thread: Red Devils
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
DHSDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginFish View Post
Yucky, thick red/brown water in most areas out there today, but very calm conditions in the AM. Lots of macks, and some market squid back in previous area. Birds working due west in 200'+ of water lured me way out, and persistant strike but no bite on a jig suggested big squid were at play. Put out a heavy duty "candy catcher" and scored a Humboldt of about 10lbs. No photo, but the ever-changing, flashing colors of these things have to be seen to be believed. Fun fight, and managed to dodge the jet/ink spray (this time) when it came up. Good to know in advance that they're out there - hooked one during a run many years ago, and a day before there was any news of them being in the area. Trust me - it was more than a bit freaky to have the Kraken come unexpectedly to color (Still have the stain in my wetsuit from that encounter).

Avery
Was this out of La Jolla? If so where where are you finding the macs at? I need to make a bunch for bug bait, season is just around the corner and still haven't scored anything other than smelt. Thanks
DHSDave is offline   Reply With Quote