Thread: PA and Revo
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #22
THE DARKHORSE

Jeez...another one of these threads?

Just kidding!
The gentlemen who spoke of the issue about the possibility of a Mirage Drive failure---in the wrong location and conditions, with the Pro Angler---hit the nail on the head! Well done. This is always my concern when clients inquire about what boat to get.

I suppose it really depends on where you fish, but if you fish where, at times, there's heavy current and wind, remember: the Pro Angler is not a kayak intended for paddling. While possible to paddle, obviously, it's not efficient enough to fight heavy winds and current without the Mirage Drive. It would be like a truck without any gas, so to speak.

When I fish La Jolla on a Pro Angler, I never, ever, fish without a spare Mirage Drive. If you're past the corner and the current is ripping South, when something goes wrong with the drive---you better know alternate landing spots (one of 30 surf spots and reefs in La Jolla) or have your Mexican license with you.

That said, I absolutely Love the Hobie Pro Angler. It can do anything other kayaks can do, but no other kayak can do what the Pro Angler can. While I realize some guys have the fantasy of a smaller Pro Angler, and we'll quite possible see one from demand, I can say with confidence that it won't be a better kayak. The Pro Angler is absolutely perfect just the way it is.

For me, the Pro Angler is for sight-fishing. Yes, standing up in the thing for hours on end, spotting fish. While, yes, it's also the most comfortable kayak on the market: due to the lawn-chair that you sit in...or couch as I refer to it. That's not the reason why I love this kayak. It's all about the ability to sight, hook, fight and land Yellowtail---while standing up! You think hooking Yellowtail, on the surface-iron, is cool sitting down? Well, that will always be cool, but it's a whole 'nother level standing up! This simply won't be possible with a smaller version of the Pro Angler. I find it highly unlikely a smaller version will have the same kind of stability. In my opinion, It's perfect just the way it is.

In answer to the original post: If you're not targeting Yellowtail as your main quarry, I wouldn't rule out the Outback. The Outback has similar speed to the Revo, but a bone dry seat. Which I love. You will not have a dry seat on a Revo if there's any wind (like La Jolla does everyday!). The only reason I go with a Revo over an Outback (even though the wet seat is annoying at times) is due to the bow splash of the Outback. The bow-splash of the Outback is a deal killer, if I'm constantly targeting Yellowtail, due to the noise. That bow-splash will keep you from hearing things; things that you should be listening for. Personally, I'd rather have a wet seat than miss an acre of foaming Yellowtail behind me!