View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #11
Pat

I spend a lot of time at LJ fishing irons because it's been successful for me.

In January and February I only fish a Salas 6x Jr in blue and white. That has worked very well for me when the fish are deep in the water column and holding 100-150 feet deep. Other good ones are the Iron Man 3&5 and Tady 9. When the lure hits the bottom, crank as fast as you can for 10-12 cranks.

If you're catching sand bass, you're in the right zone, if you're hooking bonito on the retrieve your crank speed is just right. It's just a matter of time until the next bite smokes you! 8)

If your jig comes up and untwists for 5-6 seconds, you're cranking too fast.

The 6x Jr has not worked well for me when I've casted to breaking fish on the surface. Actually not much has worked for me, but most bites have come on Tady 45's and megabaits on the sink. :?

In the spring and summer, I like the heavier surface irons for fishing the mid water column for roaming yellows and sea bass.

The ones that have worked the best for me are the Salas 7x, Tady 45 and Jimijig in b/w and g/w.

Generally barracuda and sea bass like a slower retrieve, where as the yellows like it faster. If you're hooking barries or not getting bites while others are hooking yellows, then let the jig sink longer and speed up your crank.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote