View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
-scallywag-
Banned

common problem....
keep the battery disconnected accept when using the FF, energized pins+salt=super fast corrosion
Figure out a way to keep all you connectors on, always...this will keep the water out and the grease in.

After going more than a few yaks, I've found that the most robust kayak electrical systems are also the most simple. Now all my FF's are completely seperate from the yak, nothing hard mounted.

The FF is mounted to a mini ram ball and cables are ran thru the front hatch where the battery is put into a drybag or box and wedged under the footwell inside the front hatch. The transducer is just loose inside the hull (no goop, tape or wet well) and before i launch i make sure it is sitting in the lowest part of the hull by the sailing mast, splash a little (1-2cups) water into the hull if it is dry, then its ready to go! I also have a ram ball mounted inside the front hatch so when the surf is thumpy I can put the FF inside the front hatch and it won't get rattled around or soaked while i launch/land. I use a simple velco strap to lash all the loose cables to the sailing mast so it looks clean inside the front hatch.

I really like this system cause you can completely remove all your electronics without ever disconnecting any of the sealed connectors, or even turning a screw. Even better is you dont spent half a lifetime building some crazy transducer mount and no more worries about your stuff getting damaged or stolen when going on camping trips or motherships.

Plus with all the money and time you save on the install you can go fish!!!

-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote