View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
taggermike

I've yak fished all over north county and there are loads of spots to fish. There are kelp beds from Camp Pendleton all the way to Del Mar. Some of them are small, like the one off the Army Navy academy, and get ripped out now and then. Others are big like the Swamis to cardiff reef beds. The draw back of NC, if you can call it that, is there is no well protected launch areas like you have at LJ SHores. O-side harbor is the only place to launch where you will not have to deal with surf. And there are good spot in the harbor and north, south, and outside the harbor. You can also get a scoop of bait from the reciever on your way out. Any place else up there you will haveto deal with surf. Practice surf launches and landings and pick a day with less swell and its ok. Most of the beaches in NC are very popular and get super crouded in the summer. Sufers can ge a problemwhen you're settingup to lad but most are super cool. I've had good calico fishing all over NC. I've only caught YT out of O-side Harbor and out of Fletchers cove in Solona Beach. Sometimes bonito and cude get in therethickas well. There's loads of structure and kelp up there and seabass are alsways a posability. Those NC spots aredeffinately less crouded that LJ so just spend some time and explore, you'llfind some thing to catch. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote