View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
swank

If you're planning on tossing plastics 99% of the time your best bet is (imo) to stick with a baitcaster. A curado 300 / Luna 300 / Toro 50-60 / Penn Sargus all have the power to bring in a schoolie yellow (Carbontex drag upgrades would be nice on the Shimano).
If you dont like low profile then a round caster like the Calcutta 300 (400 is a bit much for bass, but it works), Daiwa Luna, okuma and Abu make some great round casters too.

I have an Avet SX 6/4 and I dont think you'd like it for throwing plastics to much, great for live bait though, gotta love that lever drag.

You will recast a plastic 10x more than you would live bait (which you'll usually soak)
Having to guide the line onto the reel 200 times in an hour is a pain in the butt.
The SX freespools like a mother- prepare for birdsnests (unless you get the MC, but then you still have the issues listed above)
Levelwinds on the newer casters are pretty sturdy, i can throw light irons on my 300dsv with no qualms, and supports a lot of weight
Low pros weight less :P
It all comes down to personal preference I guess.

Just my .02, PM me if you have any questions

edit: A low pro would also fit nicely with that Trigger seat on the rod