View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneshaker21 View Post
So after years of fishing the harbors in SD/OC and immediate areas outside the mouths I decided it was time to finally go out in La Jolla.

Arrived SUPER late at about 9:30 Am as someone was coming in with 2 massive WSB which made the decision for me to go out.

It was kind of a maze and a totally different experience driving up onto the sand and launching that way but overall really easy.

Right as I was about to launch I met Dave, a big waters edge member, and he was one of the nicest guys I have ever met. He let me tag along here and there to make sure I was in the right areas and showed me some of his spots.

Overall really slow day but was a great experience for my first time out there. I was only able to snag one squid on the bottom and drug that around for no takers. Headed towards the kelp later in the day and managed a small rockfish and a couple small Calicos on swimbaits. That was pretty much it with the exception of a few flylined dines that got shredded by Barracuda..

Either way it was alot of fun and I plan on going back maybe Monday or Tuesday to see if I can't find my first yak Yellowtail or WSB.

I also wouldnt mind just pulling on anything out there while getting used to the area so if anyone has any tips on loading up on a few rockfish or anything else that would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you al and hope to see you out there! Sorry there wasn't much to report... lol

-Jared P
While I'm new to Saltwater Yak fishin', I would imagine the same techniques from a party boat would work. In my Yak tackle bag (that I already set up) I have some "old" Bomber (and B-52) bucktails which I usually pin a strip of squid on, assorted jigs and heavy torpedo sinkers (all from my "party boat" tackle box.

Sorry I don't have more info. Haven't seen many references specificlly retaling to bottomfishing (mostly as incidental catches).
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote