View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
inshorefisher

well written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
As you've already figured out, fiberglass rods are exceptional durable, while carbon rods/graphite are much lighter, but can be fragile; the latter also conducts electricity. Yes the grapgite rods are much, much more sensitive, which can be a great benefit.

We, or the industry has (basically) gone from fiberglass, to S glass and then E glass, or simply put, from heavier to lighter product, while little other than weight changed (for the most part). But graphite brought us some significant changes, not only in weight, but sensitivity, strength, backbone... and allowed for some much "faster actions".

With the advent of spectra (think no stretch of the line), and the then common trend of using all graphite rods (at the time), many fishermen were pulling the hooks right out of the mouths of the fish they hooked, and having their fish swim off. While all graphite rods are still being made, the current new trend in rod manufacture is composite rods, or rods made with graphite and glass; rods with plenty of backbone, but also with softer tips, to take up for some of that lack of line stretch, and the head shakes of some fish, so the hook doesn't get spit out. The new composite rods appear to have everything going for them, light weight, durable, and suited for spectra with short tops shots (the way most of us are fishing).

But everything (especially now a-days) has it's application. If the fish are slamming the jig or bait, there is no need for all the sensitivity of graphite. But if their gingerly going after the bait, graphite certainly helps to know what is going on at the otter end. But, your being tapped, as many have found out, you may not want to swing that rod in an attempt to set the hook; you just may want to let the fish start to swim off for a bit, to give it a chance to get the bait in it's mouth or swallow the bait, so that when you do set the hook, you not just pulling the bait away from the fish.

As far as my opinion, I say you should at least try an all graphite rod, so you at least know the difference. But in the end it all comes down to preference for most people. If your holding a rod all day, the weight will certainly make a difference; but if the rod is going to sit in a rod holder most of the time, you may never notice a difference between a graphite rod and an E-glass rod. Yet if you really want an exceptionally sensitive rod, you should be considering an all graphite rod with a handle that allows the mounting surface of reel to touch the rod blank.

If you ever do the party boats, preferably multi-day trips, it's a great place to ask people to try out their rods. I've managed to make many friends by doing this and allowing others to try mine. You'll learn lots, and begin to know what you want out the equipment, and what equipment will give you what you want; or preform the way you want it to.
inshorefisher is offline   Reply With Quote