Thread: Marine glue
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I am a big fan of Marine Goop, OEX has it. I've searched Home Depot, Dixiline, and Lowes and none of the others have it. Steve, is 3M 5200 better? I'd be willing to try that also.
They are both good.

I like Goop for pretty much everything. Its easy to use, its is temperature resistant, inexpensive, its tensile strength is waaaay higher than the 5200 (3500 psi vs 600 psi) and it stretches 600% when cured, with is perfect for kayaks which flex and expand and contract all day.

There are pretty much only 2 formulas for Goop. The ones with a UV inhibitor, and those without. While you may not be able to find Marine Goop @ Every home Depot or Lowes, they all usually carry a UV resistant formula of Goop- Lawn and Garden usually. However, I think its way cooler to support the local guys. Price is good too.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ne-GOOP/Detail

If you want something that specifically says "For use on through hull connections below the water line", 5200 is for you. I've done through hull pumps with both Goop, and the 5200, and I've never had a single drop leak with either.

Prep is key for both. Sanding the area you are working on with a coarse grit sandpaper will be sufficient. Some yaks will require more sanding than others, because they have an agent left on them that help release them from the molds they are made on. Just make sure it feels rough, and you'll be fine. I've had to sell several yaks with the transducer still installed because I literally could not remove it from the goop on the yak. The plastic of the yak was breaking before the goop was giving.

I wouldn't use any hard epoxies on a yak. They move too much, and anything brittle will fail over time.

Keep in mind. The threads of the pump and connection are actually making the compression of the connection and holding everything together, the Goop or 5200 is just there to seal the small stuff. Measure 2X, cut once is very important. Make sure you have a snug fit, especially for something below the waterline. I'm pretty sure my through hull 'ducer would be bone dry, even without the 5200 globed all over it.

With all this in mind, If in doubt, let the Pro's @ OEX do it. You don't want to have even a little bit of doubt about the safety of your yak when you are a few miles out. If you are new to this game, I'd especially recommend taking it in to the guys @ OEX to have it done right the first time.

Geez, did I just write all that? Fook, its time to go fishing!
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote