View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #24
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
I wasn't going to say that but yeah the story described does sound like he hung up on the structure and then the current and swell made it feel like he had two big fish. When he loosened the drag it then came loose rather then taking a bunch of line because it was just hung up from the start.

There is no kelp there but Venice reef is heavily fished by the sportboats and is covered with broken off line. That's why I fish the sand around it rather then the reef itself. Often if you drift the reef you hook up deadlines left by inexperienced anglers from the sportboats and since it gives it feels like a fish but it's not. Sometimes you'll hook a fish it then tangles in heavy deadline and it feels bigger then it is because you can't pull it up. I mean with all due respect new guys to the sport always have a lot to learn, and some of things will be learned the hard way.

Of course the irony is if he had in fact landed two huge seabass and posted the info he did it would of been a huge mistake because the area would of immediately been swarmed with hundreds of boats, as lots of people watch this forum, word would of gotten out and everything that floats would of come out of the MDR harbor to fish them.

This is why no-one with experience posts Santa Monica Bay Seabass bites, or even Halibut bites with locations online anymore.

Live and learn...

Jim

Well if that the case, it was just a few rocks that i got stuck on...

don't pay attention to this post.....it was all a lie...........

Last edited by wiredantz; 02-01-2011 at 07:35 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote