View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
The problem is if you don't land the fish or get it to show color you have know idea what it is. Not to sound like an ass but to me it sounds like a snag. The fishfinder went black, did he go over a bunch of kelp or a large reef? the fishing poles both bend like a U, was there yanking? Was drag taken out? typically if it is a large fish the line screams out, snag not so much. The pole bends and hits the side of the yak again sounds like a snag unless his drag is just super tight. He is afraid to lift the rod because it might break, again how many rods break catching fish? I have hooked a boat who went over my line and my rod did not come close to breaking, 10-20lb bass pole, drag screamed out until I broke the line off. I have felt that I could break my pole when pulling hard on a snag though buttoning my drag tight. Fish are either taking out line or I'm reeling them in, I feel head shakes and pulls. I guess I've said enough but I had the same thought when I read about it being a BSB. I'm just saying............. Who knows ...... the fish never came up.... Either way great job getting out on the water. I am not sure a sleigh ride is a sleigh ride, I'm more like Jim, I want to know what is giving me the ride and ideally I'm only happy if I land the fish!

Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning . I just know I've been out on the water with friends who get excited when they have a snag because they think it is a fish.
lol...

As far as the fishfinder i was just sitting over a bunch of sand.

I know a snag and i know when i have something big. Something big doesn't pull on the line so hard and then stop and keep going again until your rod starts bending under the kayak that you can't lift it up. I fought that beast for 15-20 mins and that beast kept pulling line out of my reel and i could not reel it back in. I felt every movement that fish did with my rod, as he swam deeper and farther away and when i tried to reel him in he kept pulling harder Snag doesn't pull out drag while your in one spot and then swims down so hard your can't reel in and or pull the rod up.

At that moment all i could see around me wsd just a huge amount of bait fish, so whatever was down there was chasing those bait fish.

As regarding my fishing pole i was using my $200ish 20-40lb g-loomis rod that i love so dear with my $ 200 reel and that was the most force i have ever felt on my rod and i did not want to lose my rod.

Even though i lost the fish, it was an epic feeling.

But people don't have to believe me, this was my experience after all.

LONG LIVE KAYAK FISHING

Last edited by wiredantz; 02-01-2011 at 12:33 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote