View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
JoeBeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
I guess to some...

I don't know Dude... I mean I suppose it could of been anything, you want to say it's a black that is fine by me. Just trying to pass on some actual info on what you guys might expect to hook there. I guess it all depends how you look at it, but for me when I see things like this I try to figure out what he actually might of had on. Totally self serving if I thought C-bass were in there I'd be loading my fishing yak, not hooping yak on the truck today.

From his description it sounds he was fishing Venice reef or the inside edge of it. Sounds like the New Del Mar hit it right before him which since they are fishing bass not butts pretty much confirms he was right on the reef.

In the past that area has kicked out some quality fish: Some big halibut, an occasionally quality White Seabass or two, but they are usually on the outside edge of it. It tends to get over fished. The MDR boats that have been fishing it are catching bass and sculpin right now with no halibut or Seabass in their counts, and since they hit that spot every day, that would suggest he hooked something else.

Personally I have fished that spot a lot. I hoop it, have kayaked it (went there on my first trip) as MDR is my home port. I've skiffed fished it a bunch, and since I also used to run a 56ft sport-fisher "Alamos" out of MDR I used to hit it with the big boat, so I actually know that area and reef pretty well. Basically it's the closest structure to the harbor, and usually the last place I'd set up a few drifts, on the way home.

If I had to call it I'd say he hooked a couple of big leopard sharks as they sometimes come in thick there and I have caught back to back big leopards there in the past.

I mean really it's no big deal to me, I just looked into it because I was wondering If I should take a rod and stay a little later next time I hoop the place.

Jim
The problem is if you don't land the fish or get it to show color you have know idea what it is. Not to sound like an ass but to me it sounds like a snag. The fishfinder went black, did he go over a bunch of kelp or a large reef? the fishing poles both bend like a U, was there yanking? Was drag taken out? typically if it is a large fish the line screams out, snag not so much. The pole bends and hits the side of the yak again sounds like a snag unless his drag is just super tight. He is afraid to lift the rod because it might break, again how many rods break catching fish? I have hooked a boat who went over my line and my rod did not come close to breaking, 10-20lb bass pole, drag screamed out until I broke the line off. I have felt that I could break my pole when pulling hard on a snag though buttoning my drag tight. Fish are either taking out line or I'm reeling them in, I feel head shakes and pulls. I guess I've said enough but I had the same thought when I read about it being a BSB. I'm just saying............. Who knows ...... the fish never came up.... Either way great job getting out on the water. I am not sure a sleigh ride is a sleigh ride, I'm more like Jim, I want to know what is giving me the ride and ideally I'm only happy if I land the fish!

Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning . I just know I've been out on the water with friends who get excited when they have a snag because they think it is a fish.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote