View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #18
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT View Post
LOL steveooo...I said that wasn't an option....even though I am eyeing the PA. But since fully loaded that thing weighs almost 140lbs, I am still gonna need some strength before I pick up one of those. And I just looked on Hobie's website. It is listed under boats, and not kayaks?

I know, I know. Just testing the water A shoulder injury is what originally got me into a Hobie over 5 years ago. I still have a very limited range of motion in my shoulder, which is most likely due to scar tissue from me being stupid and not taking care of the original injury.

My major in college was Kinesiology/ Sports Medicine. We worked on alot of bum shoulders. I think there is a good mix of sound advice here. I think Charles was going in the direction that I would initially tell you to go. Best thing you can do is let the body try to repair the damage on its own initially. For shoulders, this usually means to immobilize it, which is a pain in the butt, but effective. You can buy a shoulder sling at walgreens for pretty cheap. I'd get one that supports the shoulder, as well as straps it to the body. You use your arm so much in the day, it's too easy to cheat with the ones that don't have the body strap. Even sleep with it, I'm sure you've already woken yourself up with shooting pain from moving your arm around a night? I know I do when I re-injure mine. Strap your arm up with your hand elevated higher than your elbow. For the first week, do ice only for about 20 min, 5X a day.

After the week of rest, light movement is good. Your body will tell you what is appropriate. Like Andy said, you can switch between heat and ice now, and start looking at some PT.

Also, like it already has been mentioned, if you do PT, it will only be as effective as you apply yourself to it. This is where the advice of someone qualified to evaluate your injury would be helpful. You don't want to download a generic shoulder PT program off the internet, because there will be some movements that wont be appropriate to do with certain types of injuries, and you could be doing more harm than good. If you have good insurance, go get it checked out. If not, a good rule of thumb is "If it hurts, Don't do it". No sense in re-injuring it slightly every day...

Geez, throw a little rain into the mix, and we all turn into doctors. I'm fishing this week- Rain be dammed!
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote