View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #29
PAL

Quote:
PAL, {“Range isn't a Big deal"} Range or runtime is everything. I'd like to have the option of 20 miles opposed to 2miles. The evolve with its 30 min full speed run time on our test kayak just doesn’t make it, and on top of that the noise is ridiculous, it sounds like a Roots style blower on a hot rod. All of the kits we installed had major problems, one guy was stranded because the Orange plastic steering connection snapped in halve, another problem is inside the throttle control unit, there is a plate which is supposed to be spot welded but it snaps off inside. You must have received a good wiring harness, one of the ones I received just had the metal pins just pressed into the rubber grommet with NO sealant on the other end, and water could touch the pins directly. I was wondering if the wiring is Marine grade.fficeffice" />>>
The throttle control unit should be backlit for night fishing.>>
The rudder rising out of the water is dangerous and could land you up on the rocks before you know it. Once you learn the motorized kayak, you’ll use reverse just as much as forward, you want it to work properly>>
I heard that Torqeedo is increasing the size of the battery for more run time>>
You’re promoting something that you have very little experience with, and possibly don’t realize its faults.>>
The stealth serpent takes up too much room in the cockpit, it’s in the way, and you’ll have wires in your lap. If you strike something underwater how does the shaft deflect the force??>>
These are the things you should consider before purchasing any EK >>
Very interesting. I don't have a stake in any of these boats. Riskey Water asked about the eVolve. I shared my experience.

A few clarifications:

I could have been more specific on the range comment. With the eVolve, you know your power consumption, your speed, your remaining run time at that speed, and an estimated range. That means the user doesn't have to guess, and can adjust speed to reduce power consumption, extending range.

At full throttle the eVolve prop cavitates. Only an idiot would put the thing on the water then run it at full power, needlessly burning juice. That's another way of saying that in practice, I don't think anyone's going to do that.

It's better to ask whether you can get a 4, 6, or 8 hour day out of the thing, and how that translates to range in miles. Whether the eVolve battery is adequate is a matter of perception as tested against a particular user's needs. It was fine for our uses, although the Torque's heavy marine battery lasted much longer.

The eVolve was the loudest of the three systems we tested, but it wasn't obnoxious.

The issue of the rudder powering itself out of the water when in reverse is overstated. If you put it in 'R' then floor your car or truck, the results probably won't be to your liking. Land someone on the rocks - I don't think so. Remember, we spent most of our test time in the surf. Maneuverability was excellent.

We played with two Torqeedo motors. 1, Hobie's eVolve; 2, a Torqeedo kit. Our wiring harnesses were fine. We'd have said so if they weren't.

Although the eVolve is a Torqeedo motor, Hobie modified it heavily. It should be judged on its own merits. I note that picture shows a Pro A; Hobie's eVolve doesn't have a stern mounting option for that bad boy.

The throttle unit's positioning is adjustable. We laid it nearly flat on the gunwale, with the wires running through the hull directly beneath the unit. It didn't take much space or get in the way.

If you run into something with the rudder mount, it simply kicks up. The motor shuts off if it feels resistance. We repeatedly ran the test unit up onto the sand with no issues. I'd be leery of doing that with the cassette mount, but I don't have an opinion either way.

This isn't a comparison with a BassYaks kit, and I'm making no judgement on bang for the buck. The eVolve / Torqeedo is a premium product, a boutique item really.

Perhaps someday we'll take a look at the available aftermarket options. I think we should. Electric motors are carving a niche in kayak fishing. Personally, I prefer the simplicity of paddling, but I won't knock anyone who decides otherwise. Last I checked it's a free country.

I'm interested in hearing about the strong points of the BassYaks kits, particularly as they relate to west coast ocean use and surf transits. We were rough on the manufacturer models, managing to break one but not the other two. I'd like to know how the typical aftermarket kit would hold up.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote