View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

7/10 LJ: The wrong kind

Light winds, grey morning. sun finally showed as I landed a little before 10AM. Easy lowtide launch, surf built to 1-2 for a hightide landing. Plenty of greenbacks at the pier, but they were picky and only got 2 after trying for quite a while. I was thinking there would be an early bite, so I took em and ran. After rounding the outside buoy I put one high and one low. It was around 5:45 and some porpoise came charging out of the canyon. They passed right behind me and spooked my flyliner into some clicker chirps and then it SCREAMED!I held out hope of a fish until 200 yards of spectra were off my reel and leading to the porpoise jumping n front of me. It turned and I got some line and started trying to thumb the spool to break it off. I'd get going so fast I was afraid of tipping as the kayak would start to turn. The porpoise was well in the reserve and me coming up on the edge, so I started trying to swing, finally thumbing the spool broke it off at the spectra-mono connection. Lost a couple baits to the dogs and hooked a harbor seal on my bait on the bottom. Thought for sure it was a fish, even felt kelp after it ran, then it pops up to the surface. I had one of these wear me out a week or so ago, so I broke it off quick. Alot of rolling, big balls of bait, no boils or puddlers that I saw. Scattered boneys and barracuda being caught.

There were a couple YT caught. I was photo beayatch for a couple. One was a guys first and one was Dan the man's

Dan, my email aallen4@flash.net for the picture.