View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
ski

Phatt, it was the first time that I used the gulp for rockies. I was using a basic rock cod rig with top and bottom hooks that were I think size 9/0 with a longish shank and a 6 oz. torpedo to get me down. I just threaded it on the hook kind of like you would a fish trap. You can see in the fhoto the baits that I used. I think they were 4" shrimp and a 5.5" squid. Also, that stuff really stays on the hook great. I used the same baits the whole day and also brought them back home with me. I put them in a baggie and then added some cod-liver oil to them so they will be giving off a nice slick for next week when I will re-use them. You can find the oil at Henrys or other health food stores. That gulp bait is da bomb!
If you find that you are catching small fish, move off the spot to locate the bg ones. They run in schools and chances are they hang with their own size. I had to move off the spot where I got the salmon grouper because it was the ethical thing to do. The limit on those is one. If you have a color ff you should have no problem finding the right stuff.
In my opinion, those rockfish when cooked to perfection are really excellent table fare.
Mark
ski is offline   Reply With Quote