View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

This thread reminds me of some questions that I have been meaning to ask.

I use a Sabiki rod, which is convenient but because the flys are stored in a wet salty environment inside the rod, they rust away very quickly. Even if I rinse the inside of the rod after a day on the water, the flys are often useless by the time I make my next trip. Maybe this is why many of the more experienced guys have stopped using Sabiki rods. Anyone have a comment?

The second issue is that most purchased Sabiki rigs have five to seven flys on them. I usually have to cut off a few to make it so the rig fits in my rod. In fact, I would prefer to only have two or three flys on a rig since dealing with a full "catch" on one pull is a pain. Usually a couple flip their way off the hook while I am unhooking the others and tossing them in the tank.

I occurred to me that I could probably make a better Sabiki setup if I could just buy the flys and beads somewhere and make my own custom setup. Does anyone know where just the Sabiki flys can be purchased?

Assuming someone has the answer to this question, I would also like to know which type of fly is the most productive

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 09-16-2010 at 07:45 PM.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote