Thread: Battery idea!
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurc View Post
Hey Everyone me again:I was going thru all sorts of forums on this wonderful hobby and came across an article where someone used 8 AA battaries to power up there fishfinder. Now since I don't have a kayak yet i can't try this on my own but has anyone ever thought of using a pair of R/C battery packs to power up there fishfinder?
I do it.

Been using a 12v 10ah RC/Scooter battery (they market them for different things) for about three years now. No issues, works fantastic!!

12v 10Ah (10,000mAh) NiMH built from 10 NiMH D cells

It's much smaller and lighter weight then even a seven amp hour battery

What most people do not realize is that a Lead acid battery drops voltage in a curve so when you run a finder on one it usually stops working when the battery is about 2/3 through it's discharge, because by then the voltage output is too low for the finder.

In contrast NiMH batteries hold their voltage flat until completely discharged, so you actually get more time as you can use the full capacity (ah) of the battery.

Like I said works for me wouldn't even consider using a lead acid (sla) for my finder at this point. I use a lead acid for my bait tank 6v 12 ah, but I have had to replace those twice since I switched to the NiMH for my finder.

It just lasts and lasts and lasts.....

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote