View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The booze ban is another example of a well intentioned initiative that has many unintended consequences. Those of us who have always behaved responsibly when paired with alcohol on the beach have been forced to give up a very enjoyable activity because a small minority has behaved irresponsibly. This is a trend in our society. A bad one.

On the other hand, if I owned a home on Sail Bay, I would be really pissed to have to live though all the crap that happens when tens of thousands of amped up 20 somethings get drunk and go nuts in the front yard. The City's short sighted response was to ban drinking on every piece of beach property in the county... forever. Of course, the kids, being innovative responded with the Floatopia. As a former lifeguard, I cringed when I learned about this. I am really surprised that no one died during any of these on-the water binge drinking fests.

The City was right to ban the Floatopias but was wrong to punish all the law abiding citizens along the way. Just one more personal freedom on a long list that has been eliminated during my lifetime. At least the powers that be were smart enough to recognize that a guy fishing on a kayak was not the same as some dude sucking down a couple six packs while floating on a rubber ducky.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote