View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
FishFeeder
Junior

which hobie?

OK, you've compared them for yourself, so I'm not sure I can add a lot. I have an Outback, and I got it as my first fishing kayak. a perfect choice because it is stable as ^*() and spacious. it does not paddle well, though, and it would not be my choice for La Jolla, where surf launch and distances favor Revo. I have been out in ocean swell alongside a Revo, I'd estimate the Revo paddler and I were around the same weight (180 or so). I stayed bone dry, while he took several over the bow and was wet up past his knees. same water, same load roughly, same pace, and the Outback was drier, but also probably noisier if that bothers you. personally, staying dry is not a high priority to me (because I can dress for that, and I don't expect to stay dry while fishing in a kayak anyway...). You mentioned 'faster': I don't view the speed difference as being very important because the OUtback does pretty well, I don't tire over fairly long distances while peddling it. With turbo fins on the outback, it hauls just fine IMHO. To me, the key factor is where you will use it: if you'll be launching or landing through surf--> Revo, no question. Bays or inland waters, Outback is better to me: I like having the extra accessible working space, it's easier on casual users / borrowers, and I'd only favor Revo if you expect to cover long distances, or maybe for the ability to paddle better, which I do sometimes just for fun and exercise in the Outback. I did not spend much time paddling the Revo (just a test run when I bought the Outback), but I'll wager it tracks a lot better when paddled.

MikeS
FishFeeder is offline   Reply With Quote