View Single Post
Old 05-22-2006, 09:38 PM   #11
blackcloud9
Kayaker

I axed ....

The information below is from a kelp bed expert at Scripps. Whew, I was beginning to suspect ... :shock: BIO-TERRORISM :shock: !! (I was happy to hear it's just those pesky hydroids, epiphytes, and bryozoans. Now .... to get one of those on the surface IRON!)

> Can you direct me to a link discussing the status of La Jolla's kelp
> bed right now? I kayak out there all the time, the kelp seems to be
> very unhealthy and mostly gone. Is that a parasite killing it? One
> floating piece I found hosted a colony of tiny (1 mm) worms.

"Giant kelp has many epiphytes, most of which are seasonal. There has been a hydroid infestation in La Jolla and part of Pt. Loma this spring that's heavier than usual. Bryozoans are another typical kelp fouling organism.

These fouling organisms colonize the kelp as larvae that drift in with the plankton and the adults are grazed on by fish. Part of the reason that the infestation may appear heavier is that Kelco no longer harvests kelp, and these kelp fronds would have been harvested before they got so thickly overgrown. Kelp fronds are continually growing from the bottom of the plant (kind of like new shoots) and they last only about 6-8 months maximum. So by fall most of these fronds will have been replaced by new fronds. The growing conditions have been very good for kelp lately due to the cool La Nina temperatures we have been experiencing so I wouldn't worry too much about this.

We should have good recruitment conditions this year too unless a red tide hits us for an extended period.

Ed"

Its really good to know that there is healthy kelp around still - Pt Loma for example.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote