View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

When to keep a Calico?

I have not had much luck catching any keepers lately. Saturday, I plan to hit the water again. I will spend a little time trying to catch the right kind but if I get no love early, I plan to head into the kelp to try my luck at bass.

Here is the question. I cannot remember the last time I kept a Calico. I usually try to only take home the faster growing, bigger guys like YT or WSB. Unfortunately, my freezer is just about empty and I would really like to see some fresh fish on the table. I have been told that Calicos grow very slowly and that one should always release the really big ones as they are the brood stock.

Those who know me know that I am a big fan of C & R. I would certainly not want impact the fishery by indiscriminately harvesting something that should be left alone. Assuming that my statement above is true, I would like to hear what people have to say about reasonable Calico harvesting. If I want to keep a few fish to eat, does anyone have any guidelines as to what to keep and what to release.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote