View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
T Bone

The Ultimate Yardsale

I have been in town working at the Scripps UCSD medical center they are building off Genessee.After work when I can I have been hitting up the PM shift,getting on the water about 3:30 or so and fishing till dusk(or later)During that time I honed my game by paying attention to posts ansking questions and doing my own exploring and experamenting.
During the week of march 15 I hooked and farmed 3 fish ALL the right kind but learned something from each heartbreak.I wasnt able to fish for a while since my boy was back on Chemo last week and I had to get home everyday to take care of my daughter since my wife and son were in the hospital for the week.I also couldnt go the week before since we were kind of on standby waiting for Dylans WBC counts to get high enough to go back in.Anyways all the waiting was driving me nuts.I knew I could get one I just couldnt get out.
I new I would have my chance this week.The forecast for monday sucked but I had a window and had to take it.When I got to the launch,I was pleased to see we could drive on the sand again.I looked out and I was facing a headwind going out with whitecapsOh well.Paddling out into confused seas it took a lot of energy after a full day of carpentry to get to where I wanted to be.Made my macs and got busy looking for a good spot to work.The kelp seemed very scattered and with the high speed wind drifts through kelp openings was the way I worked it.I fished straight Izor spectra with the last 5 feet painted black on one rig and had flouro topshot on another but didnt need it.I got a shortbite and went through a lot of greenies getting stuck in the kelp.
I was working my way back in when I found a good spot to work.I was halfway between the condo and the bouys when I got bit.Some have said that WSB dont put up much of a fight.Dont believe the lies.This thing had huge bucking headshakes that were insane and powerful runs that had the first foot of my rod underwater.The fish had managed to get quite tangled.I said a little prayer and just took my time.I could feel the spectra cutting through the salad or so I thought.After what felt like an eternity(thank God I was using a circle hook with a good hookset in the corner)this gigantic mass of kelp was coming up with a huge white thing in the middle.It stopped coming up about 6 feet under the kayak.I was really trippin for a minute.I just had to be patient.The mass rose and sank with the swell.Finally I was able to get a crappy gaff shot on the belly.I couldnt believe what was on the end of my gaff.I shouted Hallelujah and thanked The Lord Jesus for his bounty.I hoisted the 5' brute into my lap.I was dazed and tired and happy.Earlier I forgot to mention that I got sick and lost my cookies but all that was over now.LJ has given up the Ghost.I paddled back in stoked.
Now the surf wasnt particularly big.It was just a very confused sea.In hindsight of course I should have stowed my rods or had leashes.The fish in my lap hindered me from getting the rods inside,but even that could have been worked out.The fishes head was in my lap and the tail was 2 feet past my 2 feet and off center towards the left because of my FF.While coming things started out well then the yak pearled because of the extra weight in the front.All I could grab for sure was the fish since it was in my lap.I ran him and the yak up to the beach and went back out in the water for my rods.Wait,why is everything so blurry,MY GLASSES!I was screwed now.I felt like Thelma in Scooby Doo.I still used my feet to feel for the rods to no avail....

About this time Josh and a good samaritan whose flashlight I still have come in.they offered what assistance they could but it was pretty hopeless by then.I am hoping one of the rods may turn up since they were my 25-30-40# outfits but I realize I am the one at fault for losing them.The following is what I lost-

Graphite USA 70Mag wrapped black/white/chrome with a silver Avet JX2spd

Shimano Calcutta 825FSA lightweight rollers with avet sx2spd

Shimano tallus rod with daiwa sealine X 30

Anyways,I got a great fish.Bottomed out the 50# spring scale and took quite a little bit to get the spring moving up again.I realize that guys fish for seabas there whole lives and never get one like this.And did I mention it was my first.Thanks Josh for the pix and the help.I didnt catch your friends name but I have his flashlight in my truck.
Attached Images

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote