Thread: Hull repair?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
stairman

fix it your self

Get stainless steel screw with a diameter(not the outside of the threads) that is a little bit larger then the hole ,then if you have access to the area inside, shape a piece of good mahogany or teak that is bigger then the hole by three inches or so from the hole in each direction,and thicker then the screww is long. Use goop or any type of flexible glue on the bottom of the wood and the surface around the hole inside.Make sure the surfaces are clean.Have the wood have a small pilot hole and screw has a neoprene washer and metal washer. And screw that thing in good and tight.
You probably have 2-3 psi of water pressure to keep out so it shouldn't be too difficult.
That is unless your like a friend of mine with two college degrees that can cross thread a wing nut on a battery terminal!Then you could pay some dope like me that didn't graduate from highschool to do it!
Shit you can figure out how to use a computor!
I did a repair just like that on an aluminum boat that lasted 15 years!If the wood is good and dry when installed it will swell when wet. If you get the mating surfaces shaped pretty similar it should work dam well.The bonus is that now you have a skid plate on the bottom!
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote