View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
The low gear of a 2 speed reel is designed for the end game of a big tuna or bill fish fight where the fish is straight under the boat and doing the big circles. It can also be usefull for getting large bottom dwellers, groupers and big jacks, away from the rocks at the start of the fight. Other than that i can't see too much use in a 2 speed especially for a kayak application. Mike
I have to agree with Mike. I have a pair of two-speed reels, one Penn International and one Accurate Platinum, and I use them on a boat for makos and threshers. When a big version of these fish dives, switching to the lower gear makes it easier to get them to the boat; conversely, when they are on the surface or coming up, switching to higher speed allows you to put the line back on the reel fast. It is possible that a smaller two-speed reel can be used on a kayak, but I do not think the benefits outweigh the extra cost when used on a kayak, unless the target fish are makos and t-sharks in the 250 lb. and up range.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote