Thread: First Mods
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
fongman

I found a different use for those wellnuts on my Adventure. They are used to secure a polycarbonate shelf which I mounted a Hummingbird fishfinder. Since the connectors are relatively small, I was able to feed the wires up through the mast post. A rubber beaker stopper was drilled and slotted to hold the cables, then pushed down the mast to seal it.

This worked fine until the FF crapped out. The replacement Garmin has such a large connector, I had to pass the cables through a large cable clam. I am now thinking the mast post will be a good place to put a light pole for night fishing.

One of the advantages of having the shelf is that you can experiment with mounting different accessories. Drilling new holes into the shelf for the different FF mount was no big deal since I wasn't drilling into the kayak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
Those Ram Tube Mounts are sometimes subjected to a fair amount of torque. For that reason I used the full size 2" x 3" ball mount, with good SS bolts and SS washers and lock nuts behind them.
I took this one step further and made polycarbonate plates to fit on the inside of the kayak to give them more strength. I can now use my RAM-mounted Scotty Trap Ease without worries.

Also, instead of using the forward T fitting location to pass the cables, I replaced the T fitting with a Hobie D fitting. This is where I attach my peddle leash.
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote