View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 12:00 AM   #11
greenscales
greenscales

A Little Spectra Education

I haven't posted on the subject in a while, and it was always about larger tests of Spectra. I used to be the rep for the Southwest for one of the larger brands of quality Spectra. In freshwater and inshore saltwater Spectra in 30lb and below is intended to be fished more by diameter and not by strength. You are still fishing a 6-15lb. to 10-20lb. rods with freshwater reels. It is more about smaller diameter and lower stretch for sensitivity.

As for the comparison of Newport to San Diego, totally different fishing styles/depths. San Diego is deeper, has stronger currents, and more diverse species--making the case for Spectra. In my previous posts (years ago) about heavier test Spectra for Big Game, I discussed the issue of faster action rods possibly having issues with Spectra if not used correctly. For the lighter rods, don't worry about action, but set you drags appropriately - not to the line test but to the rods rating, no more than 1/3 of the rod's maxed out line test. If you go with too soft of a rod, then you defeat the purpose of the low stretch, thus loosing the increased sensitivity of the Spectra.

I often pay more attention to the breaking strength of the leader over the Spectra. Definitely use a leader, even just a few feet. If you use fluorocarbon, go with a good quality leader material, not from a 200yd. spool of fluoro line. Better abrasion resistance and can handle the shock better. If you go straight Spectra, then you will have a hard time busting off if you get you lure snagged, causing even greater problems. Likewise, don't buy cheap Spectra, the good stuff costs money to make but will last years. I don't mean to step on toes and just trying to provide some accurate information--hope this is helpful.
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote