View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
deepdvr

Hey Young Mola I live nearby in Cbad and if you ever want to fish it send me a PM. I'm by no means the expert but I've tried most of what you are asking.

For me live bait that you can catch there (smelt) are really too small and too much of a pain to deal with. If you want to catch smelt either look for bait balls on your finder in the main channel between the 2 bridges or work the edges of the eel grass in fairly shallow water 5-8'. You'll need to go very small on the sabiki, size 14 or smaller if it exists. You may want to consider going to the O'side bait barge and buying the $5 shore scoop of dines or chovies. Bring a bucket with 1 or even better 2 battery powered aerators and use them.

Right now, I believe its mainly bass season and hence you probably can catch the same on plastics. In a few months when the halibut are back on the chew, the live bait will be beneficial.

For bays, its all about tidal movement. You can catch fish on non-movement but working the ripping tide is really the way to go. Usually incoming is better than outgoing. If you want to simulate a drift just long-line. Drop your lure/bait down and paddle away a good distance while in free spool. Then stop and start your reeling (preferably uphill over structure or past structure).

Good luck!

Eric
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote