Thread: avet sx
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #17
lamb

I think sometimes chit happens just because it's meant to be... regardless of your knot.

Good stuff. All of these knots are good, some people seem to prefer one over the others.

Since I'm lefty, I've mostly been winding Avets. I got 4-5 SXes. I put 250 to 300 yards of 40# spectra, (lately 50#, mostly because at Squidco never seem to have 40# ). Since that won't fill up your spool, you need to put some mono backing - the same or heavier line than your spectra strength. Squidco guys do it for me, ditto on them using Albright. That will give you plenty of line, especially for the kayak, as the "tow me around please" button is always in auto mode. You will not have to worry about being spooled.

I'm a knot retard, and I was never comfortable in my skills when it comes to tieing mono and spectra together for the few feet of floro top shot. I just use a 2 way swivel. I've never regretted it. Do not spare a few $$ on quality floro for the top shot. Some days it won't matter, floro or not. They ARE days when it definitely matters.

For the hook or a jig, I use San Diego knot. You do need to have something to jam your hook against when tightening it - plenty of eyelets on a kayak for that