View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneale View Post
Hi, this is my first post. I have been browsing the forums for sometime now. I don't even have a kayak yet, but I fish every other day in the Dana Point harbor.

Anyway.. Does a blue SMCA spot mean we can still fish in that area? Or..

Thanks.
Please attend this meeting on the 10th, and you will meet a lot people there to answer your questions. It is never too late to get started in this process, hope to see you there.

FWIW:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/defs.asp#smca

State Marine Conservation Area [36700(c) PRC]

A "state marine conservation area," is a non-terrestrial marine or estuarine area that is designated so the managing agency may achieve one or more of the following:
  1. protect or restore rare, threatened or endangered native plants, animals or habitats in marine areas;
  2. protect or restore outstanding, representative or imperiled marine species, communities, habitats and ecosystems;
  3. protect or restore diverse marine gene pools;
  4. contribute to the understanding and management of marine resources and ecosystems by providing the opportunity for scientific research in outstanding, representative or imperiled marine habitats or ecosystems;
  5. preserve outstanding or unique geological features; or
  6. provide for sustainable living marine resource harvest.
Restrictions [36710(c) PRC]: it is unlawful to injure, damage, take or posses any specified living, geological or cultural marine resources for certain commercial, recreational, or a combination of commercial and recreational purposes. In general, any commercial and/or recreational uses that would compromise protection of the species of interest, natural community, habitat or geological features may be restricted by the designating entity or managing agency.

Allowable uses [36710(c) PRC]: research, education and recreational activities, and certain commercial and recreational harvest of marine resources may be permitted.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote