Thread: sharkshield
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #19
Dennis Spike
Junior

Dangers

Thanks for the openmindedness and kind words you guys. Gino, the trip to and from the beach is more dangerous than our time OTW where fog, wind and drunken or stupid powerboaters pose a greater risk than giant sharks.

I'm not too worried about the white sharks that follow the WSB schools. I talked myself into believing they still eat fish. I'm not really worried about sharks at all. I look at S/S as new technology. The manufacturer makes a point of selling "peace of mind", not fear of sharks. I believe we spend more time in the zone than most recreational ocean users except maybe surfers. We bloody the water up more than they do and make a lot more noise. The attraction factor.

Since my first report of a tiger shark body slamming a kayak angler off Puerto Rico many years back (after he gutted/gilled a big tuna into the water), I've preached TBC-Total Blood Containment on the kayaks. Of course, I rarely practice it. I've seen many species on my kayak and believe I brought most of them in. The late sportfishing lobbyist and aquantance Randy Frye lost his head to a white shark diving abs in shallow water just north of here. From greyhounding needlfish to rattlesnakes and scorpions wasps and a mountain lion, I've become a predator magnet the past decade or so. Am I sounding paranoid? I will be if I ever decide I need is giant squid shield. Seriously though, if they made a hand taser/phaser gun (Star Trek series-"Set it on Stun...Spock") I'd buy one for the novelty. The shark shield is pretty much that, in the wateer to the ampullae of lorenzini on sharks, skates and rays.

Fish report-I've been living near Bodega bay the past few years and the SWR is stellar. Lots of lings, cabs and big black and red rockfishes I've been fishing like bass. The halibut come through, I'm still looking for one. If the swell is under 6 foot without wind, rockfish limits are the rule. www.ncka.org is the regional site and if you ever make it up to the wine country, hook-up there or feel free to give me a call to see when we're fishing and meet us at the beach.
In the meantime, whack `em.
Dennis Spike is offline   Reply With Quote