View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
dgax65
Guerro Grande

OEX in Mission Bay is friggin' awesome

I've spent a fair share of my income at the various OEX stores and I have never been treated with anything but the utmost respect. Even when I would just drop by on my lunch hour to browse, with no real intention of buying, Brent, Brian and CJ have always been friendly and helpful. I've spent LOTS of time in OEX and I have never seen or heard any of the staff be anything other than friendly, helpful and accommodating. They have allowed me to demo yaks and Brent even loaned me his own $400 carbon paddle when I wanted to test one out for a few days. I've seen the staff at OEX go out of their way to provide excellent customer service; even when dealing with some demanding, pain-in-the-ass customer. I can't imagine anybody at OEX behaving in the way you described. I've been a member of this forum for nearly 4 years and I think this is the first time I have ever seen any criticism of the service at an OEX store. I don't think I've ever heard anything but praise for the helpful staff at OEX. That would make you a bit of an anomaly. Hmmmm?

Brent and all the rest of the guys at all the OEX stores have done a helluva lot for the kayak fishing community in Southern California. OEX is either responsible for or has sponsored just about every kayak fishing tournament in the area. They have been instrumental in bringing us some of the best kayak mothership trips in the world, Andy's San O surf clinics, Catalina trips and many other events. OEX also gives us one of the best kayak fishing resources on the internet. The owners and staff have given up much of their own time helping with local kayak fishing organizations, events and charities. And on top of all of that, OEX gives us multiple local stores, carrying most major kayak brands and models. All OEX staff started out as dedicated kayak fishermen before they ever worked at the store. They understand the needs of the kayak fishing community because they are an integral part of that community. They are an invaluable resource for local kayak fishermen. We should be grateful that we have such a resource available to us. Go buy a kayak at West Marine or REI and tell me that you had a better shopping experience. Good luck. You'll pay more, get less and you certainly won't benefit from the expertise and experience of a salesman who is also an avid kayak fisherman.

Brent, John and the rest of the OEX staff; THANKS. You're doing a great job.