View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
zenspearo

MLPA Carlsbad Aug. 3rd meeting--A suggested speaking point

Kayakfishermen,

One of the speaking points, having multiple sub-points, is as follows. This is one suggestion. At this stage, with the RSG, we need to be specific in speaking to a specific area. We hope that with enough people speaking, most areas can be covered.

Remember: Speaking time is at 3:30PM. You need to show up at the latest by 3PM to sign in. Per new rules, no one can sign in for you. You must sign in yourself. DO NOT BE LATE.

Monday Aug. 3rd--3PM
Holiday Inn*
850 Palomar Airport Road
Carlsbad, CA 92008

Example: My name is John Doe, I want to speak about keeping area X open as shown on the External A map.

1) the specific boundary of the area you want to keep open (example: The area that is important to kayak fishermen covers the La jolla kelp bed, and more particularly the north end of La Jolla from Bird Rock north to Scripps pier (just a random example here), etc.)

2) why it is important from a recreational/socioeconomic perspective to keep this area open. (Example: Mention that it is the only spot for shore access, if you close it, kayakfishermen would lose access because there are no reasonable alternatives, etc.)

3) mention again that with 80% sand and 20% rock/kelp in CA, and with the ability to adaptively manage, it's prudent to start small and adaptively modify as time goes by. The law allows for that. Why start with closing pretty much all of the 20% rock/kelp and disproportionately target recreational fishermen/spearo

I'm recovering from a low-grade illness, but I will be there.