View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

My day off work...

Short version: Windy from the get-go with occasional strong gusts out of the South, signifigant surface texture that got worse as the morning progressed, rolled over conditions, cold/green water (low sixties) and no fish caught from what I heard.

Long version: Quit deciding when to fish based on local reports and reading all the boards while at work. The conditons might not be perfect, the water temp dropped again, it's been windy for months, but I can guarantee you'll never catch a fish from your computer. I've compromised with the local PB'r mafia by only posting once a month, and I haven't seen too many reports otherwise. Let's just say nothings changed, the same guys who catch fish are catching fish.

In an effort to improve the flavor of your fresh brewed coffee... I've included a true story about my life to distract you from asking me questions about rigging, location, and specifics on how I caught this fish .

Even though it's been years since I was wrapped up in the mortgage boom, I remember working fifteen hour days and praying for the weekend quite well. Looking married couples in the eye and saying "we specialize in pre-payment penalties" (i.e. we simply roll it back into your new loan ) was the toughest part of my job. The message of "if I didn't do it someone else would" was quite clear from my boss, sadly that made sense at the time. I would just count down the days, buying new gear on my lunch hour, sharpening hooks and getting ready for the weekend. Even in my monetary prime all I could think about was getting on that overnight boat and waking up to the sound of turbo-diesels, that high pitched wheez always calmed my nerves. I remember having thoughts that I would rather be a deckhand looking for kelps than continue picking up big checks, fortunetely for me the bubble popped before my job killed me.

Even though I've taken a drastic pay cut over the years, I'm proud of my work and I couldn't be happier. The good news is I still look forward to my days off, buy gear for fun and enjoy sharpening hooks before a trip. Only now I don't have to worry about if the overnight captain finds the fish or getting sawed off by some dude who can't follow his fish.

All Yellowtail are strong, but some of them just flat out kick your ass.