View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 07:18 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I have been surprised at how few people like to fish the kelp for the checkerboards
Fishing is all fishing. I am happy walking the banks of a lake or in a float tube. Trout, bass surfperch....tuna. I remember in one of my first years fishing saltwater. I had a 16 foot Sea Nymph. Fishing the Pt Loma Kelp with a friend, who was a much better fisherman. We had calicos on every cast with 4-5 followers trying to grab the plastic out of the fishes mouth. He could not believe that after a 1/2 hour, I was ready to head outside to look for YT.

Part of it for me is that I feel justified in the amount of time that I spend fishing because of the fish that I bring home to enjoy with my family.
Some of us would rather roll the dice, getting skunked, over and over, looking for the big keeper. While some find the same satisfaction in getting the upper hand on the calico bass.

I really enjoy the variety of fishing reports. Thanks for sharing. 5+ pound calicos sounds like a blast. You should consider joining the WCB on www.sdkayakfishing.com Once I have given those slackers a decent headstart, I am gonna sign up.