View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

You know guys, I for one appreciate all that you are doing, the time and the effort you've put in.

It is scary to look at the maps and realize, hey, that's where I caught my first ________, that's where my honey hole is, that's where my child caught their first _______, the list goes on.

It's too bad that we can't just say, let's just lower bag limits. We don't need to catch 10 YT per trip, 2 calicos are enough for me, 1 halibut, etc.

I remember the old days, out in my boat, and leaving an area because we were catching too many 'small' YT. We rarely heard of a WSB caught. Calicos were a dime a dozen, barracuda everywhere, and, to date myself, we used to spear 1-2 halis per outing off MB jetty, even catch bonito from the jetty. Seeing abalone, knowing we couldn't take them because of the closure. Bugs everywhere, we would just come back the next night.

I do understand the need for the closures, but the reasonings and logic behind it stinks like a sewage spill.

I wonder had limits, restrictions, been imposed earlier, could that had been a difference. 3-5 YT daily limit. 3 Calicos, 3 Sandbass, 1 Halibut, 1 WSB in season, rockfish in season, goes on and on.

When is the last time you heard of a boater, a charter, or a sportfisher in US waters getting limits of YT? Bass, of course.

Now here's where I lose myself - based on the number of sea dogs we have hanging around LJ, spec. Children's Pool, what damage do they create?

Let's see.....hmmmm...

The California Sea Lion (Zalophus californianus) is a coastal sea lion of the northern Pacific Ocean. Their numbers are abundant (188,000 U.S. stock 1995 est.[2]), and the population continues to expand at a rate of approximately 5.0% annually.[3] They are quite intelligent.

They can dive to 1,000 feet (304.8 m) and swim up to 25 miles per hour (40 km/h) in short bursts. They can also swim silently in the water.

To me, the whole reasoning behind the MLPA is sound, but lost in the translation. Kind of like having a flat tire and keep filling it with air instead of sealing the leak....no pun intended.

The kayakers, the surf fishermen and women get the shaft, when our take is based solely on our capacity and of what we will eat, in my opinion.

Boaters, charters, sportfishers, can move to deeper waters, but I tend to think that PB'ers, charters, realize. I think the party boats do try to educate the consumer, but at the same time, their profits are based on catch ratios and the bragging rights of the uneducated.

Is the solution closing prime habitats? No.
Is the solution changing fishing catch counts? Yes.
Are these self-financed groups seeing the big picture? No.

I can imagine how tough of a battle you guys face, how frustrating it must be. Keep up the great work, we are here if you need us.

Thank you, rant over....

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote