Thread: Leo Carillo
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
steveooo

Thanks to everyone that gave me a heads up about what’s up at Leo Carrillo.

Bottom line- Leo Carrillo Rocks. Even without fishing as much as I would have liked, I have a feeling that it will easily become one of my favorite spots.

Went camping @ Leo with the wife and two other couples this weekend. Heard there was going to be a 6-8 ft NW swell, but decided to throw the yak on anyways. After fighting some mean traffic we arrive and set up camp in the dark on Friday night.

We woke up to find a really nice quiet campground. The spaces are far enough apart that you don’t feel like you neighbors are up in your grill. Big sycamore and oak trees are all over the campground. It is easy to forget that you are only a short walk to the beach.

After breakfast we decide to take the 5-minute walk from our campsite to the beach, and it was friggen awesome. Expecting to see 8 ft waves pounding the shore, I was pleasantly surprised to find lake-like conditions and one of the most beautiful beaches you could ever imagine. We started by playing around in the tide pools. Saw some cool critters.

To the north, there is a rocky shore break.

You could easily time the shore break, but I did not bother because of the sheltered conditions to the south. 6-8 feet? More like 6-8 inches.

It is all rocky beach, but with some wheels (or some dragging) it is easy to find a good place to put in.

The first time we launched it was mostly to explore. The kelp and reefs are about a 5-minute paddle away.

We threw the crocs and fish-traps for about half an hour, for only a few lost bass and this little guy.

We went back to the campground for lunch a lil nap, and went back for an afternoon session. I’m sad to say that we didn’t catch any real fish, but we couldn’t have asked for better conditions. No wind, 25 + ft of vis. Lake Leo.

We caught about a dozen perfect size smelt and dragged them on the bottom for about an hour, following the kelp line from 70 to 25 feet. We fished for only about an hour but we struck out. Every inch of Leo is gorgeous, and I’m sure is loaded with bass, halibut and tons of other fish. Maybe a little current is what we needed? Either way, no complaints on my end. I really just loved being out on the water in such a nice place in summer like conditions.

Although fishing was not spectacular this time, I will definitely be booking another site at Leo.

Here are a few random shots from the weekend.

The crew

The truck (still for sale!)

Throwing knives = Highly illegal, but way fun.

Drinking by the fire

Looking North

The end

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote