View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
steveooo

Sharing & Caring, Part 2

I have been promising a coworker that I’d take him out fishing someday again. Ever sine the last time when my superior guide skills put him on a 10” Hali, he has been hooked, sending me e-mails daily somewhere along the lines of “When we gonna go?”

Friday seemed good, so we braved the fog and wind, went south from dana, and were fishing by 6am.
Around 7 he said “Aww, I think I’m stuck on the bottom” I tell him to reel up to free it. I see that he is gaining some line and I tell him he has a fish on.

He doesn’t believe me that it is a fish until we see color on a nice hali. I immediately see visions of blowing four consecutive gaff shots, and then I see every fish I have ever lost, and meanwhile, he is still up front screaming like a girl. Luck was on my side and one gaff shot was all it took to have 17 lbs of hali beating the hell out of both of us, and bitch slapping him on the back of the head. To all the people that ask “Where would you put a big fish on a Hobie?” Now ask that same question with two grown men and a pissed off Halibut on the same boat and you have pure comedy.

After the fish is a bit calmer we decide to fish a bit more, and in short order, he has a pretty decent Sheep at the boat. He was the biggest sheep I had seen that had not made the ful sex-change. Almost 5 lbs with oversize chompers.

After we release it I keep telling myself that I must be a great guide, because I have been fending off Cuda and Sandbass all day. We head in, I fillet the fish for him, take my finders fee fillets, and realize that I have created a monster. My co-worker is absolutely hooked now as evidenced by constant "When we gonna go?" and "I'm going to buy a Kayak" e-mails. So I’ll forward him the links to any Yaks for sale that I see on this board.

On the beach
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote