View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
THE DARKHORSE

Damn Morgan...

I wish I didn't see your fish that morning, because I wasted the next few days in pursuit on the typical winter grounds...much earlier in the morning than I would have liked . Before everyone gets excited, not one other Yellowtail was caught from the "fleet" on the grounds the days following this event, not one . Plenty of those elusive Thresher Sharks, though . I will have to admit, the false alarm was pretty damn exciting, and I now have fresh top-shots on my reels .

To expound a little on MKNOTT's comment, the issue comes down to leverage. With a treble, especially during an extended battle with a thumping heavy fish on the end, the original hook point that sinks into the fish might get ripped out by the alternating leverage from the other two points, like pressing your pliers against one of the other shanks. Especially, when you have a fish that changes direction a few times, and is a master of those damn jig-throwing head-shakes.

As far as the treble/single-hook debate...I've been torn for years. The facts are: You will hook more fish with the treble, but more fish will stay on with the single .