View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
THE DARKHORSE

Portable isn't the problem.....

Finding the unit you want is the problem. I know of a Humminbird unit that takes AAA'S, but not aware of a combo unit. I've been anti-instal for years, but for different reasons. Once upon a time, it was because I was using an expensive unit. Now, it's because I'm bouncing around between different Hobie models, I love them all. My best advice is simply buy the unit you like/love, and spare no expense. Go West Marine, and get the extended warranty, it's awesome.

The Hobie is perfect for a non permanent method. Use the sail mount hole to put a pvc that's a close fit, and just run some tape around it until it's a perfect fit. Instead of gooping the transducer, I gooped a round plastic piece just below my center hatch. I put an inch of water in and never have to worry about bubbles, damaging the transducer, or any corrosion to the terminals over time. I keep the $800 unit with the battery in a dry bag in the front hatch, and remove back at the launch. I never take three to the chest with my unit exposed, and simply put everything back in the bag outside the surf. Others will disagree, as a permanent instal is more simple, and "no daily set up", but I like this method to protect the unit.

I don't have the #'s of parts off hand, but after you buy the unit and have any questions, just send me a p.m., it's easy.