View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 09:12 PM   #13
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador Paul View Post
OP here.

Thank you for all the very helpful information. The phone app sounds great. However, if I need to paddle 9-10 miles I probably will have to stick to the bays. I am, unfortunately, 59 yrs old.

Paul
From the launch at La Jolla Shores to the western boundary of the protected area is less than a mile (.8 miles, to be exact.) Thats where you can find bait, and the fishing area starts from there too.

8-10 miles might be a total for those who want to move around alot, but it's not necessary. It's not necessary to go out so far, nor so far south, nor out to the rock piles. 8-10 miles for most of us means total distance covered according to our Navionics boating app, or whatever GPS charting device we use, .... not 8 miles out and 8 miles back.

You can start with 3 miles in San Diego bay, then build your endurance to 6 miles in a couple of trips. Soon you will be covering 10 miles without breaking a sweat.

That doesn't mean 10 miles of hard pumping against the wind and current, ... it means following your bait around or trying a handful of different places. If you choose a good weather day with minimal wind, waves and current, it's pretty easy. Watch the weather, wind, and water forecasts carefully, and choose the days that are easy.

Slow pedaling is not the same as a hard fast pump. Slow trolling accumulates distance without noticing much. It's more like fishing.

I'm 65 and I wouldn't give it a second thought. I consider it the kind of exercise that's important at our age. If it feels hard, than we are out of shape and that's all the more reason to go fishing more often. (Good excuse, right?)

It's like riding a bicycle. If we never do it, we might feel winded the first time, but our endurance quickly grows to the point where we can easily move around for a half a day without feeling much exertion.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-15-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote