View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 08:13 PM   #12
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
9-10 miles is a lot and seems that most guys that paddle are younger. Im sure there are a few older folks that can paddle but they probably have the right yak to do it. Narrow kayaks will cut through the water much easier then wider 30" plus. I know I am in great shape for a 50 year old, but even with carbon fiber paddle and my old Vibe fishing kayak it was fine paddling with little to no wind. Once the wind kicks up it can be down right torture. If I were you Paul, sell what you got and invest in Hobie Mirage drive and don't look back. Legs are super strong compared to upper body and you peddle for hours and not break a sweat. I love my Outback now and you can find good deals on used here and on CL.
I have a Hobie Revo 13 and a Malibu X Factor. there are days I like the Revo and days I prefer the X Factor. I am not young, definitely wish I was younger, much easier to reach the tuna grounds. It's not if you paddle or peddle it's about being in shape by doing either at least once a week. If you don't your legs are not going to make it through a full day and neither would your arms. When the wind and current are pushing you (usually south) it's a bitch to fight it coming back north and fighting both. That's were you have to be smart a figure out which direction it's going and start out going against it so it's easier on the way back. A lot of days I cover more then 12 miles over all. It's about pacing the speed so you can last.