View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
papajohn
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Landwhale and I launched about 6:45 this morning. Air was coldish with a slight offshore breeze. Water was not so clear and 56º at launch, 62º at landing. There wasn't much current left at launch time, but the fish still bit for a little while. Then about 7:45 it died with peak high. Around 8:45 it started going out and picked up good by 9:30. Around this time the wind started blowing onshore too.

We started off at the buoy line where I got a short spotty on the first cast, and a little while later I got a nice sandy that was closing in on 3lbs. We drifted over to the boats on the island side and I got a legal spotty and short bastard of a cuda that bit my finger. as we moved along the channel I got another short spotty. This was all by 7:45 or so. We crossed over to the boats on the peninsula side and worked that area for a while. I even fished the docks. I got 2 whole bites, and that was after the current got moving. We moved across the channel again and began working our way back. Got a few bites here and there, but no takers until about 10:30, back over near the buoy line. It was a very short spotty. Called it a day at 11:00.

The bait that worked best for me was a 4" Paddlerz in redbone on a 3/8th firecracker Warbait head. New penny also got 2. Hot Sauce for flavor of course.

I think I got skunked my last trip to Newport, so this was a much better day. We're going to hit it again next Thursday, hopefully they bite.
I was there as well. I think I saw you guys. I was on yellow malibu kayak. Only got a 16" sandbass
papajohn is offline   Reply With Quote